Tags: 640, adv, c-02, c-17, c02, c17, dakar, enduro, KTM, mitas
Since the bike cam with a used up front Enduro 3 Sahara tyre and a very bad Sava MC23 rear tyre, I have decided I will change those as soon as possible. While I was waiting for the new rubber to arrive, I have also ordered a rim lock for rear wheel.
As for the actual tyres, I went with the tried and tested set up of Mitas Cross tyres.
When I put them on, I had around 31.000km on the clock, so we will see hoe long do they last on this tyre shredder. Overall I really like them of road, on road you have to be careful in the corners.
Tags: 640, adventure, air, cover, enduro, filter, hard, lc4, parts, power
Like I have mentioned in the Preflight check, I had a busted hard parts air filter cover on my KTM, and I had replaced it with a OEM plastic sealed cover. It worked OK but the bike was getting to much fuel and when you opened the throttle quickly, it got flooded. So instead of getting the carbs re-jetted I have decided to fix the mesh on the filter cover.
So after getting a suitable mesh, I have been thinking of how should I fix it. I thought about welding, soldering, drilling&screwing,… None of those options as easy to do with my time frame.
Now time will tell how long this will last.
Tags: adventure, barkbusters, btc-06, enduro, grips, handlebars, high, high bars, KTM, lc4, mounting, orange, rc, renthal, vps
From the time I first took my LC4 on a gravel road, I didn’t like the standing position on it. It was to low and to far back for my taste. It felt like I am going to tip over the bars. So I have decide to order a new set of bars. And with new bars, you also need new grips. And everything had to be orange.
I started working on a nice autumn evening. The disassembly went fast. When I took everything apart, I have decided to grind the locating pins on the controls instead of drilling in to the bars.
And while I was working on the bars, I went ahead and mounted the Barkbuster handguards I had taken from my KLE when I sold it. But with the KTM using fatbars, I had to get a new mounting kit. I got their new BTC-06 kit, I must say that it is a nicely made product, like their guards.
Now I only need to wait for good weather to test out the new set up. It felt great on the stand in the garage, but we will see how it turns out in the field.
Today was a sunny day, and supposedly the last one for a while. So in the morning I saddled up my LC4 and headed to the best mountain passes in the country. Now here are a few pictures from today.
I got back home with night fall after 371km in the saddle. It was a really good day riding.
Tags: 640, adv, adventure, clutch, enduro, KTM, lc4, problem, sm, sprag, starter, supermoto
A while back, my bike has developed a fault. While kick starting it, e-motor and all the gears were turning with it. It surely didn’t sound healthy.
So I have started investigating the problem. After talking to the guys at advrider.com I have been advised that the sprag clutch is probably stuck in engaged position. So before we head into the process itself, lets look at the tools and parts you will need.
– 8, 19(puller screw) and 24 socket
– 32 wrench, at least for my custom magneto puller
– magneto puller, KTM part nr. 584.29.009.000
– new gasket, KTM part nr. 584.30.040.000
So we have started wrenching with the bike on its side. I have put a log under the handlebars. A fret taking 4 bolts (8 socket) out of the case you can simply lift the cover off. But be careful no to tear any of the cables.
To undo the nut you will need a 24 socket. Also it is a right hand thread, so you un-tighten it with turning it right. After that you screw on a puller. At this time I have put the bike up on its side stand as it was easier to undo the nut, fortunately no oil got out.
After cleaning the debris of the spring out of the bike and off the magnet, I have reassembled everything back in reverse. I kicked it a few times and it started up nicely. The only drawback of this is that I now don’t have a e-starter on my bike.
So on Tuesday, I have taken the bike for a short spin after a workout session on the kick starter. It was one of the few days that we had sun this week, so I put my boots, helmet and gloves one. I pinned the throttle up the nearest hill that had just recently been paved, they ruined one of my favourite gravel roads in the area. So I got to the top, had a few minutes rest and than headed back down. On the way down I always go slow as you only have your brakes and railing to to stop you.
But today, going down, was a bit of a problem. In one of the turns, at 20-30 km/h, I have hit a patch of some lose gravel/sand on the pavement and lost the front end of the bike. It was like I have hit a ice patch no chance to keep the bike up.
So after sliding on the pavement for around 15m in jeans and a long sleeve shirt I have come to a stop with the bike upside down, leaking fuel and me leaking blood.
A quick check of myself, and other than being peeled like a banana on my left knee, both elbows and right hip, I checked the engine for any cracks in the sump guard and any other major damage and luckily the worst damage was a broken shifter lever.
Before the pain sets in, I kicked the bike and rode to the garage, took a few pictures and went home to take a shower and clean the wounds. In the end I ended up at the ER and on the pills for a week…
I won’t bother with the rear plastic as it will get even more scratches as I start ridding off road, as for the handguards I have a set of Barkbusters from my KLE ready to go on.
Ow well, I think I will be going on a rides from now on in full riding gear.